Tuesday, 12 June 2012

You're Invited.

I once saw a wedding card which announced "Khandar Saal" on its cover. Personally, I found that offensive. Cards need to be decent, methinks, at least as decent as the wedding you are inviting to is going to be. Another card I once saw repeated a line from a then-popular TV commercial. Seriously! But mostly, circulating in Kashmir are cards which have nothing noticeable in them. The same old thick paper, the paper envelopes, may be some raised letters or a little bling bling. Oh, and yes, there was a card too which had so many compartments and flaps, that it was hard to find where to read. Then, once, came a wedding invitation card that was as thick as a notebook, with three different invitations inside for the same wedding. Sure, here - where I live, people do get fancy with cards.

But then most recently I came by this one. A wedding card written in Kashmiri. The first time I had seen such a thing. We do have cards written in Urdu, but Kashmiri? Why no one thought of doing it before, I wonder? I was so excited by this that I brought it from my uncle's house (where I saw it) and decided to type it here - in a purely philanthropic pursuit, of course. 



If you find it hard to read, you are not the only one. I too found it incredibly difficult to read. And even harder to type in Inpage. But even then, I think its an exceptional effort by the writer to put forth the native language, which, unfortunately has now a very restricted readership. This card announces the marriage of a son and daughter. What I find classy is that they don't mention the daughter's name, but refer to her with an appellation.  

PS: I did not write this card, as mentioned above. 

2 comments:

  1. Hard to read. But something worth appreciation..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks once again for caring to comment. The card is difficult to read, but honestly I find it very elegant. You will come across lot of wedding cards in the valley which are not exactly decent. This one, unfortunately for us, is not easy to read, but very thoughtfully written.

      Delete

If you were here, drop a line.