Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Like the Haley's Comet

February 29 is a good day. Anything may be good if it is to happen only once in 4 years.

As a kid, I used to think how do people born on this day celebrate their birthdays. I know of  people born yesterday, and tomorrow. But none today. It surely sets you apart that your birth anniversary comes only once in four years. Like a smaller version of Haley's comet, which is seen only once in 75 years. Had I been a mini-Haley's comet, I would have made a big deal out of it, I am sure. February 29 is in a way a New Year's eve. It comes to start off a period of four years where we won't have any 29 Februarys. It's a beginning of four 'normal' years, as distinguished from the one leap year in which it occurs. So shouldn't people celebrate this? Isn't this a bigger celebration than January 1st? That will happen every year - this won't.

Srinagar had a very pleasant day. More so for school kids whose school vacations have been extended. Great going! And also for the boba (old woman),who seemed to have understood the celebratory streak in February 29 and had hence repaired to the roof her houseboat, to enjoy the winter sun. The parting days of wintry sunshine.

Even though there is a prediction for snow on 4th and 5th of March, the winter is now officially over. The two chillas Chillae Kalaan, the major, and Chillae Bachh, the minor – are over. The cold siblings, rest in peace. You were thoroughly enjoyable this year.

For this day, there is only one regret in my heart. I did not have may camera with me (else, I would have surely clicked one of boba) – so there are no pictures to show you of the beautiful sunshine today. You may have to check back on the last post for similar pictures. But when the sky changed hues, in the evening, I was ready to click these. Ah, the bad (and unapologetic) photographer I am!


The sunshine never lasts beyond dusk, but the clouds are more faithful. They stay, in dark and light. Darkening the light, and lightening the dark. Like a patchwork quilt - each patch brings out the hue adjacent to it. Each emphasising the other. Telling us of its importance - that the good and the bad together complete a cycle. February 29, completed itself with all three shades - white, black and the grey. Nature, too, has its own philosophy. It sings its own song.



There are two things especially today of which I am really happy. One is that, and I say it with no less pride, that my driving has improved. A few days ago, I almost, almost killed a puppy. But, of course, it was not my fault. It was his (and frankly, with the canine endemic in Srinagar, most Srinagarites wouldn’t even have minded a dog less in the city - there are just too many of them – but that’s a separate story. I am glad the dog lived). Today I killed none. Far from it. Yay!

The second and more important thing is that being on Twitter finally paid. I found this. It’s an organisation working for spreading literacy. You can read their story here. The Read Aloud Day on March 7 is a brilliant idea. I’d encourage all of you, readers of this blog, to participate. (Perhaps you can start by reading out my blog aloud to all the family, relatives, friends, families of relatives and friends. That would be a good thing to do.) I am participating, and have chosen a wonderful ‘book to read aloud’. A perfect choice, if I may say so myself. So, keep watching this space to stay updated on the book (and dead dogs, if any!). 

Also, take some time, to tell me what you are planning to read - if at all anything.

2 comments:

  1. A good thought. Not only when i was kid but i still wonder how those born on this day celebrate their birthday? Perhaps they do so on 28th itself.
    Secondly, sounds good that u r improving ur driving skills; hope u don't mind taking me on a ride some day.
    The best part was " The sunshine never lasts beyond dusk, but the clouds are more faithful. They stay, in dark and light. Darkening the light, and lightening the dark."
    And about the read aloud day , I don't know much*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, Saalis. I've started to look forward to your comments here.For the "Read Aloud Day", you may check the links. Its just an endeavour to spread literacy (literate, which you already are). For me,its just an excuse/incentive to read the book which I have already planned on reading. AndI do hope to write about the book here. Its worth it!

      Delete

If you were here, drop a line.