Thursday, 19 January 2012

A crumb of me

Hope is that thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.
- Emily Dickinson

There is no reason why must we stop dreaming. Or lose hope. Howsoever hard the situation maybe, there is always an end to the tunnel. God oversees it all. One only needs to keep faith and patience, to tide over what may seem as insurmountable.  It doesn't happen everyday, but a while ago I tuned into a radio channel where a man recited a Persian couplet. I had never heard the station before and I think they call it Gyanwani. I was so impressed by a particular verse that I wrote it down.
برو کارگر باش و امیدوار 
از یاس جز مرگ نامد بیبار 
It means "Become hard-working and be hopeful, for hopelessness has only one end and that is death". 



The whole poem is a conversation between a rock and a stream. The rock is a impediment in the stream's way. It challenges it to change its course and imposes its huge structure on it. The stream replies that it will not change its way, and will persevere in its effort. Sooner or later, the rock will give way, and the stream will flow on its own course.

The moral just stuck to me. I have always believed in this and now I have a Persian couplet to quote if need be.


A couple of days after that, when the verse had been fully etched in my brain, I found this when looking through an Urdu dictionary.
 مشکلے نیست کہ  آساں نہ شود
مرد باید  کہ ہراساں نہ شود 
There is no problem which cannot be overcome, a man must never lose hope. Basically saying the same thing, hope conquers all. And that is what we must remember all the time, always. 

یار زندہ صحبت باقی  
Meeting is subservient to survival.

I will meet mine,Insha Allah,  hope the same for you too.




And sweetest in the Gale is heard
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm.
-Emily Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you were here, drop a line.